We know that moving into a new home is one of life's greatest joys, but can also bring some challenges during the process. O-Cedar® has created a moving checklist to help make the process a little easier.
One Month Prior to Moving
- Notify the United States Postal Service to obtain official paperwork to change your address.
- Notify any service providers who have your current address on file as you will want to update your personal information to reflect your new address. These could include your dentist, doctor as well as others.
- Donate unwanted items to your community church, Goodwill or other local organization in your neighborhood.
- Purchase moving supplies such as boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper and packing tape so you and your family can begin packing.
Two Weeks Prior to Moving
- Notify utility companies including:
- Home Security
- Don’t forget to notify newspapers, magazines, family and friends of your new address too!
- Notify work if you need to request any time off for your moving day(s).
- If needed, schedule a babysitter or pet sitter so both children and pets have a place to be on moving day. Then, once you are settled in, you can introduce them to their new home.
One Week Prior to Moving
- Confirm your moving date and time with your moving company or any family and friends who may be helping you that day.
- Disassemble larger furniture items and set them aside or pack them up entirely.
- Empty closets, dresser drawers, kitchen cabinets and wardrobes and begin packing contents into moving boxes.
- Set aside fragile items and personal belongings that you want to move yourself on moving day. These items could include bank and other financial statements, car keys, checkbooks, credit/debit cards, family photos and photos albums, passports and prescription medications.
Don’t Forget to Clean
When leaving your old home, and arriving to your new home, be sure to clean both locations. Although you may be leaving or arriving to an already pristine home, it’s nice to leave your old home, and move in to your new home, with a fresh start. Before you begin cleaning, make sure you have an arsenal of cleaning supplies to get the job done including:
Take some time to make sure you have an ample amount of natural and organic cleaning sprays so you are all set at both locations. Remember, moving into a new home is an incredibly exciting experience for the entire family, so make sure to document the day with photos so you can capture the memories for years to come.
Our team looks forward to partaking in this year’s Home is the Key campaign and hope you will support our mission as we partner with Habitat for Humanity. To learn more about how you can contribute to this year’s Home is the Key initiative, please visit here. Welcome home everyone!